Produces about 3.5 gallons of port-style wine at 15.7% alcohol.
- 96 oz Gooseberry fruit wine base product (1 can)
- 2.6 gal Warm Water (3.5 cans)
- 7 lbs White Table Sugar
- 1 tsp Acid Blend
- 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
- 1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
- 3 Campden Tablets (crushed) [Sodium Bisulfite]
- 1 pkg Wine Yeast (Lalvin K1-V1116)
- 6 tsp Bisulfite Solution
- 1.5 tsp Potassium Sorbate
- 5 lbs White Table Sugar
- 1.75L Brandy 40% ABV/80 proof (e.g. Paul Masson V.S.O.P. Brandy)
BISULFITE SOLUTION: Dissolve 5 teaspoons of sodium bisulphite in 1 cup (8 ounces) of water to make bisulphite solution. For Campden Tablets see label for instructions.
BRANDY: Any kind of brandy can be used according to your preference. If you use a brandy of a different ABV than above the final percentage of alcohol will need to be recalculated.
- Sanitize all equipment and utensils with bisulphite solution (rinse-less sanitizer/bisulfite solution).
- Put straining bag in primary fermenter, add fruit and tie off bag.
- Add first set of ingredients (those preceding Wine Yeast) into the primary fermenter. Stir solution well to make sure sugar is dissolved. Specific Gravity of this solution should be between 1.085 and 1.095 at 65 – 70°F, which will yield 12% alcohol.
- Cover with a damp cloth or fine mesh fabric and let sit over night to allow Sodium Bisulfite (SO2) to be released.
Fermentation and Clearing
- In the morning sprinkle yeast on top of must. Air temperature should be between 70-80°F. Cover with primary fermenter lid and airlock.
- Next day, gently stir must. Repeat daily until specific gravity lowers to 1.040 (4 or 5 days).
- When gravity reads 1.040, remove bag of fruit. Press and strain juice from pulp and discard pulp. Rack must into secondary vessel, top up with water to minimize air space. Attach airlock.
- Rack wine again (3 to 4 weeks) when gravity reads 1.010 to 1.000. Add 1 tsp. bisulphite solution per gallon of must to preserve wine for extended storage.
Finish and Bottling
- After wine is clear (1 to 3 months) rack wine back into sanitized primary fermenter.
- Add Potassium Sorbate to stabilize (prevent renewed fermentation) and stir well.
- Add Brandy and stir well.
- Sweeten to taste with additional Sugar.
- Bottle. Age at least 6 months to one year before drinking.